Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Pasta Sauce

A new friend recently asked my husband if I would teach her to make sauce.  Of course I will but we don't seem to have time so here's a post.  This is the easiest thing. I used to do way too much to make sauce.  I didn't know.  This is what I learned from my SIL, Rosa, in Sicily.  She is the best cook!!!  I love to eat at her house.  There is always too much food though!  Anyone who has spent time in Italy can understand.

Anyway, the sauce which Rosa calls ragu when you use hamburger.

Recipe:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil OR 10 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
salt and pepper
1 can (14-15 oz) of tomato sauce
1/4 lb hamburger


1. Start with the chopped onion. Put into the pot with the oil which should be hot.


2. Add the garlic.  Watch the video on how to peel garlic.

Now just mince the garlic and add it to the pot.


 3. Add the basil when the onions and garlic look this way.  It should only be a few minutes.

 After you add the basil

 4. Add the hamburger and brown it.

5. Add the tomato sauce.  Rinse the can with a bit of water to get all the sauce from the can. Cook it gently and reduce a bit until it gets to the consistency you want. (I forgot to take a photo before i added my peas for lasagna).  Add to al dente pasta. and ENJOY!

4 comments:

Jodie Meehan said...

JoAnne! You are awesome, I loved reading your blog tonight! All of it! Can't wait to see what else you post on here! I am going to start trying the things off of your blog! Thank you again! First thing to cook off of IsgroCooks is the pasta sauce!

jmisgro said...

Thanks Jodie. I have another blog - listed on the blog roll Litlequeen Rules - that has cooking stuff too.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi JoAnne .. great that you are teaching a friend ,but has your friend never made a tomato sauce..

jmisgro said...

nope...most Americans open a jar of premade sauce. She's in her 20's.